Little Miss Sunshine!!

A pinch of salt, a spoonful of sugar,a mixture of condiments,a dollop of cream... so are my stories, so are my dreams!

Thursday, April 17, 2008

இன்னும் தேடுகிறேன்

My first attempt at a poem in tamil... pls bear with me guys!! please view this in Internet Explorer coz the font will not be visible properly otherwise...

இன்னும் தேடுகிறேன்

உன்னை தேடினேன், பனியாய் குளிர்ந்தாய்
உன்னை தேடினேன், காற்றாய் காதில் வந்து பேசினாய்
உன்னை தேடினேன், அனலாய் எரித்தாய்
உன்னை தேடினேன், மழைத் துளியாய் தொட்டுச் சென்றாய்

உன்னிடம் பேச நினைத்தேன்
கடிதம் அனுப்பட்டுமா என்று எண்ணினேன்
காகிதத்தை எழுதுகோல் முட்டிக்கொண்டு நின்றது
வார்த்தைகள் என்னை ஏமாற்றியது

உன்னை பார்க்க ஏங்கினேன்
உன் முகம் பாராமல் வாடினேன்
நினைவுக்குள் எங்கோ மறைந்திருக்கும் என்று யோசித்தேன்
நினைவும் என்னை ஏமாற்றியது

எழுதுகொலின் நுனியில் துடிக்கிறாயா வார்த்தையே?
சிந்தனையின் எல்லையில் தவிக்கிறாயா சித்திரமே?
இது நிஜமா அல்லது கண் திறந்த கனவா?
நினைவினில் வசிக்கிராயா? நினைவே நீயாகிவிட்டாயா?

கேள்விகளுக்கு பதில் தேடினேன்,
விடையாய் நீயே என் கண்முன் வந்து தோன்றுவாயா?


For all those people who can understand tamil but cannot read tamil font,
here is the "tamil-in-english" version of it

Innum thedugiren

unnai thedinen, paniyaai kulirnthai
unnai thedinen, kattraai kathil vanthu pesinai
unnai thedinen, analaai erithai
unnai thedinen, mazhai thuliyaai thottuch chendrai

unnidam pesa ninaithen
kaditham anupattuma endru enninen?
kagithathai ezhudhukol muttikondu nindrathu
vaarthigal ennai ematriyadhu

unnai paarka enginen
un mugam kanamal vaadinen
ninaivukkul engo maraindhuirukkum endru yosithen
ninaivum ennai ematriyadhu

ezhudhukolin nuniyil thudikkiraaya vaarthaiye?
sindhanayin ellayil thavikiraaya chitirame?
idhu nijama alladhu kan-thirandha kanava?
ninaivinil vasikiraya ? ninave neeyagivittaya?

kelvigalukku badhil thedinen,
vidaiyaai neeye en kanmun vandhu thondruvaaya?

P.S :English translation will come out shortly(After my exams!)

The English translation: Written by Raghu(a poet whose words I literally bow to!)

You
, I seek, as ever

You, I sought
the fine mist of your memory cools me
You, I sought
your words come to me on the wind
You, I sought
and am consumed, as if by fire
You, I sought
you, who touched me like a raindrop..

To you, I wished to speak,
countless are the letters I wish to write
yet my pen is an insuperable foe to paper
and words turn into smoke and mirrors...
You, I yearned to see,
missing the light of your face , I wilted
perhaps you hid somewhere in my thoughts,
but even thoughts play magical tricks upon me....

dear word, is it you,
twitching at the edge of my pen?
dear thought, is it you,
lingering on despite all my musings?
reality, is this you?
or do i dream, with my eyes wide open?

do you reside in (my) thoughts?
or have you become thought itself?

20 Comments:

  • At April 18, 2008 at 4:23 PM , Blogger Abhidnya said...

    hey Anu...
    Too Good poem...its sooooo romantic..
    hats off to you...
    and thanks for translating it into english for me....
    cheers...
    Abhidnya...

     
  • At April 18, 2008 at 10:35 PM , Blogger Kartik said...

    Hey An, that was superb !! Tooooo good.... Unakkul ipdi oru talent a?? N thx for that "tamil-in-english" version

     
  • At April 19, 2008 at 12:23 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Hai Anu,
    It is wonderful to read your tamil poem. When you search, I am finding in you excellent "Kavi thiran". It is really marvellous as it conveys the poetic meaning in a very subtle manner. I see in you "Kaviyarasu Kannadasan" "Kavi perarasu Vairamuthu" and "Thaamarai". I am sure you will produce more such intesting Tamil Poems in the days to come.
    Three cheers to you!!!

    DAD

     
  • At April 19, 2008 at 11:04 AM , Blogger Dhivya said...

    Wow Anu! I dint know u wrote Tamil poetry! Though my tamil is not tat great and my knowledge bout tamil poetry is even worse, I really liked this one! I esp liked how everything was in question form!

    So u seem to be in a romantic mood- Care to explain? :P

    Anyways, great job- Keep it up!

     
  • At April 19, 2008 at 11:07 AM , Blogger Dhivya said...

    btw, u know what this reminded me of? How you used to translate lyrics from Tamil songs for me with such great interest :)

    I rem one of ur favorites used to be the Uyirae song- the line that goes 'kannirum thithikindradaey' :)

     
  • At April 19, 2008 at 3:37 PM , Blogger germinal dreamer said...

    beautiful poem.... loved it..
    neat command over language(s)

     
  • At April 19, 2008 at 10:24 PM , Blogger Ajay said...

    Hey sorry an for the late reply,

    Oru ponnukkulle ivalo thiramaiya...Mindblowing... Coming to the poem, it was neatly carved out like a scripturte and every line carries a beautiful meaning with an amazing level of emotinal intensity. And to top it up, u wud be shocked and surprised to know that i read the tamil version instead of the english version.

     
  • At April 20, 2008 at 12:39 AM , Blogger cm chap said...

    Beautiful.. The most I liked about it is the unadultered Tamil.

    ninaivukkul engo maraindhuirukkum endru yosithen
    ninaivum ennai ematriyadhu
    - That's the best.

    By the way effect of waiting for India trip?

     
  • At April 20, 2008 at 1:14 PM , Blogger Anu said...

    hey all thx a lot for the words of encouragement!!!

    @abhi
    thx :-) the written english translation is on its way!!

    @bka
    i knew u will read the "tamil-in english" version :D

    anyways thx da :-)

    @dad
    vairamuthu and kannadsan ellam konjam too much.... let me not get any titles for now and jus write what i feel like wrting!!

    thx for the encouragement and glad u liked it

     
  • At April 20, 2008 at 1:18 PM , Blogger Anu said...

    @dhivya
    yeah even i remember translating the songs from boys for you "muga naga natpadhu natpalla :-)"

    glad that u still remember it! :-)

    @germinal dreamer
    thx :-)

    @aj
    whoa u read the tamil version? thats AWESOME... u never fail to amaze me da :-)

    glad u liked it!!!

    @cm-chap
    hmmm may be thats the reason!! i don know ... jus felt like writing it (As usual :P)

     
  • At April 21, 2008 at 12:03 PM , Blogger Karthik Balasubramanian said...

    கண்கள் ் விரிந்தபடி
    கைவிரல்கள் ஸ்ட்ய்ரொபொஅம் கோப்பையை இருகபிடிதபடி
    உதடுகள் அதிலிருந்த கசப்பான கோபிபிஎயன் சுவையை எதிர்பார்த்தபடி
    இக்கவிதையை படிக்க துவங்கிய என் காலை பொழுதை
    படித்து முடிக்கும் வரை ஈர்த்த படி அதிலிருந்து 5 நிமிடங்களை திருடிய
    இக்கவிதைக்கு நன்றி

    வாழ்க உன் புலமை..

    ha ha.. in shorter english words.. good one.. loved it..

     
  • At April 21, 2008 at 6:16 PM , Blogger Nivi said...

    Great Effort. Laudable.
    I just had a thought though, if the peron resides in the protogonist's mind as a memory, they won't have to search would they?

    Brilliant again :)Kudos gal

     
  • At April 22, 2008 at 6:56 AM , Blogger Confessions of a Born Procrastinator said...

    You have been tagged... Please dont make a mess of it as i did...

    http://yetanotherachievement.blogspot.com/2008/04/thy-haveth-been-tagged.html

     
  • At April 29, 2008 at 7:51 PM , Blogger cm chap said...

    All set for India?

     
  • At May 10, 2008 at 9:16 AM , Blogger Emaan said...

    gosh..at was that.. and my mom thinks only i talk gibberish !

    lemme know wen the translation is put up.

    nice blog

     
  • At June 3, 2008 at 5:36 AM , Blogger Harish said...

    "kelvigalukku badhil thedinen,
    vidaiyaai neeye en kanmun vandhu thondruvaaya?"

    Bravo :-)

     
  • At June 16, 2008 at 2:11 PM , Blogger Anu said...

    @b.k
    awesome dude... u can become a poet urself... anyways im glad u liked it!

    @nivi
    well the whole point was the face was there, the thought was there... but imagine that u remember someone so much but somehow through all these yrs even their face has become fuzzy in your memory.... its somethin akin to that

    @cm-chap
    me back!

    @emaan
    thanks!! glad u liked it

    welcome to my blog and keep visiting

    @Harish
    thanks!! ur words have been quite an inspiration to mine always.... :-)

     
  • At June 21, 2008 at 7:35 PM , Blogger adithya said...

    This poem is beauty at its best… and since I can read tamil… I preferred to stick to that.. a lot of words lose its beauty when they are not read in Tamizh… Loved the flow and as usual you have excelled in it…. I always believe poetry is also your strong point..

    The search for his love, finding her in everything he sees to the extent of actually feel consumed, inability to actually make contact to the extent where he tried to dig his own memory for any left out images so that atleast those thoughts would give him solace...
    “ninaivukkul engo maraindhuirukkum endru yosithen
    ninaivum ennai ematriyadhu”. I was totally bowled by this.

    Another AWESOME poem from the great poet! Definitely bound to be the next bestseller :) ( and I totally mean that)

     
  • At June 28, 2008 at 2:36 PM , Blogger Anu said...

    @adi

    im glad u read and liked this one...

    it was a very shaky first attempt at somethin with which i had lost touch in written form after my 10th std

    there were some thoughts in this that i cud put only in tamil... i guess there are somethings which whe expressed, the language by itself makes them beautiful

     
  • At September 16, 2008 at 9:35 PM , Blogger sivasundari bose said...

    Notice the immense difference between the Tamil original and the translation?(which was good) Thatz Tamil for you. Wonder who you are?
    Isn't the internet the craziest of things, where u meet interesting folk without the least clue as to their wherabouts

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home