Little Miss Sunshine!!

A pinch of salt, a spoonful of sugar,a mixture of condiments,a dollop of cream... so are my stories, so are my dreams!

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

In love all over again!



Can a piece of human invention take your heart away????

apparently it can....


I was watching an episode from "The wonder years" yesterday, depicting a scene from the Christmas of 1968, where the Kevin family is astounded by this new invention called "Color tv". Kevin tries to put in as much tact as possible while thinking of ways to open up this topic of discussion while just at the "wrong" minute his elder brother says, " so dad are u gonna get us that color tv or not?".... and there goes the eternal dream!!phut!

I remembered the first time we got color tv, way back in the early 90's....I recall telling my mom "everything looks so life like!"

It's been forty years since that fiasco in wonder years and exactly the same scene occurs in our homes when we have been bowled over and have fallen head over heels in love with an electronic gadget. The gadget in question here is a laptop.... after having worked on a 128mb ram system for over 6 years with XP os that takes 10 minutes to boot up and 5 minutes to open up yahoo messenger you can imagine my look of wonder filled with astonishment at this wireless 1GB ram system...

The wired mire that exists behind my computer table almost resembles the EB wires hanging all over Chennai in such a hap hazard way that going through it to find a particular wire is like going through a quicksand made of sea weeds in a desert...you take a particular end of a wire in your hand and fish through the rest to see if you can find a remote possibility of it being connected with the computer. Just when you wanna say "hurray! yippee! eureka", you either trip on something and fall down or have an electric shock that makes you decide "never to get behind that computer".... but then again the show must go on, you end up doing the same thing the next day!

Going wireless almost feels like I have made a direct leap from the neanderthal man of the stone age to the modern man of the scientific age...if anyone cares to disagree I'm gonna clobber them with a club! On a totally serious note, its not fair to say girls don't like gadgets. Out of the five things that I cant imagine my life without, 3 are gadgets(computer,mobile and ipod)...

It does take a little while to get accustomed to the keys(insert, delete, ctrl c, ctrl v, where are they?) and the fact that it operates at a supersonic jet speed because of which the reason for all my late submissions cannot be my computer(its not me, its my computer!)

by the way Kevin family did get their color tv but only 2 years later....I guess that's when his elder brother moved out!

10 Comments:

  • At July 10, 2007 at 3:22 AM , Blogger Nivi said...

    Trust me i caught the same episode yesterday and was wondering how i reacted when i first got cable ;-)
    Well coming form a tv addict. they have transformed our life quite a bit...
    Imagine a rainy day , no power how would you spend the whole day!!!

    Quite a shocking thought ...The only thing i could think about was books and sleeping!!!

     
  • At July 10, 2007 at 3:23 AM , Blogger Nivi said...

    firrrrrrrrsttttt ;-)

     
  • At July 10, 2007 at 3:43 AM , Blogger Ajay said...

    Hey Congrats on ur New Lenovo Mini Dynamo,

    Am sure powered by a core 2 duo processor it does pack a punch.

    The best part of getting a new gadget is actually the time leading upto the point where u actually get it. Its so exciting. I can remember the Grin on my face before getting a Tv, laptop,a Bike etc ...

    Things are enjoyed most when there is a wait to get what u want.

    For the next few days after u get the gadget, u treat the gadget like its a new born baby trying to protect it as much as possible.

    Am sure its gonna be the same with ur laptop too..
    Ensoy!

     
  • At July 10, 2007 at 6:18 AM , Blogger navien said...

    Well yeah after havin been wid d comp , and several struggles wid pluggin of wires behind it , gettin a laptop does give u sense of pleasure n relief..And watever new gadget we get it s always enthrallin..It ll b so excitin if we r goin fr an superset model anytime..i m sure u wud enjoy wid dis new one!!

     
  • At July 10, 2007 at 7:47 AM , Blogger N!kh!l said...

    "Can a piece of human invention take your heart away????" I thought you would talk about iPhone. Sigh!

     
  • At July 10, 2007 at 5:35 PM , Blogger KD. K Bodhi said...

    Your blogs title is perfect. It is a piece of `sunshine'. Cute:)


    P.S. Incase you are wondering, you dont know me. Neither do I.

     
  • At July 10, 2007 at 9:09 PM , Blogger Anu said...

    @nivi
    hey u caught that episode too? very cute one! one of the earliest seasons of wonder years i think...

    @ajay
    yeah sure thats how we all are!!

    @navien
    i remember u were there when i bought my first comp too!!!(in the college bus!:-))

    @nikhil
    i will write about iphone after i buy it! :-)

    @ok
    thx...welcome! and keep visiting!

     
  • At July 11, 2007 at 3:21 AM , Blogger Kartik said...

    Good post... I cant imagine wat I wud do without my TV ..

    A post in ur blog is a nice way of telling ur frens that u ve bought a laptop !! Hope u got d meaning....

     
  • At July 12, 2007 at 9:12 AM , Blogger adithya said...

    Lol.. your opening lines are simply too good :). I loved them TOTALLY :) and what topped that was the way you continued the first paragraph in the last line. Actually [without any offense meant:)] you got to agree a little little wee bit that to an extent its true that all the girls don’t like gadgets very much but there are a few exceptions. Let me add one more thing to make this look less provoking… if guys are supposed to love gadgets I am not a fan of gadgets :)..

    And yeah I totally agree that if we look some twenty years back we really feel like we have made one hell of a jump. As rightly put its definitely gonna be a jump “from neanderthal man of the stone age to the modern man of the scientific age” and btw I am not daring to disagree with that for sure :)
    … “reason for all my late submissions cannot be my computer(its not me, its my computer!)”. This totally cracked me up. :D.

    Totally loved this post and the style especially haven’t seen posts where the beauty of gadgets are brought out in such an amazing and humorous way. Keep them coming

    And hey congrats on your wireless 1 GB ram laptop!!!

     
  • At July 12, 2007 at 1:55 PM , Blogger Anu said...

    @b.k
    i thought it was a cool way to tell u guys da!! :-)

    @aditya
    thx dude!! i jus wanted to break the popular myth that girls are all just cosmetics and guys are all just gadgets.... i mean we shd look at that from a practical perspective. i guess i have achieved my purpose, not many disagreements from anyone :-)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home